Edburton means Edburga’s Town. Princess Edburga, born about A.D. 900, was the daughter of King Edward the Elder, who succeeded his father, King Alfred the Great, in 901. Princess Edburga became a nun (and perhaps an Abbess) and she is credited with building a church on the site of the present day church and giving her name to the village of Edburton.
The present nave was probably built between 1180 and 1200, with the chancel, porch and tower completed after 1300. The North Chapel, dedicated to St. Katherine of Alexandria, was added in about 1320 by William de Northo, the then owner of Truleigh Manor about a mile west of the church. The main architecture is of Early English style.
The font is late Norman work and was almost certainly in the old church. It is believed that during the Civil War, the font was set into the ground and used by Roundhead soldiers as a horse trough. Originally, in the 13th Century by order of the Bishops, the font would have had a padlocked wooden cover to prevent the consecrated water being stolen or cursed by witches.
The church suffered mutilation during Tudor and Puritan times. By 1800 St. Andrew’s had fallen into disrepair. However, the energy and wealth of the Victorians allowed for the church to be restored, including the rebuilding of the roof in 1880 due to damage caused by the death watch beetle.
If you would like to visit St. Andrew’s to learn more of its history, the church is located on Edburton Road, Edburton.